General surgery emergencies are common. Most present as acute or sudden onset of abdominal pain that is persistent or worsening despite taking over the counter pain medications. The majority of these acute surgical illness need to be diagnosed and treated emergently and medical history with physical examination findings are important tools in diagnosing and treating them.
The acute surgical illnesses include but not limited to the following:
- Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix),
- Bowel obstruction or perforations
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Incarcerated hernias, and
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas),
If you suspect that you may have any of the above mentioned illnesses, please go to your local emergency room or call 911. These illnesses can be treated quickly with surgery to avoid further complications.Read more
For further instructions, feel free to contact us during office hours at 832-831-9877.